One of the many benefits that metal roofs boast is their relatively low maintenance, as a simple cleaning recipe coupled with gentle washing is enough to get the job done. Asphalt roofing, on the other hand, may incur a build-up of moss, mildew and fungus which necessitates harsher chemicals in order to effectively clean.
Whether you wish to undertake the cleaning yourself or to contact a professional to handle it for you, here is a basic guide to help you familiarize yourself with the process.
Safety should be your number one consideration when performing any task involving your roof first and foremost, whether it be a repair, general maintenance or a simple clean. You should not climb a ladder or get on a roof if the necessary safety precautions are not taken, or if you are uncomfortable with the task or ill-equipped. If that’s the case, seek the services of a professional roofer for your metal roof cleaning.
5 Simple Steps
- Step 1: Remove any rooftop debris such as twigs, branches or pinecones by cleaning out the downspouts and gutter.
- Step 2: Spray away accumulated dirt and debris by using a garden hose attachment.
- Step 3: Mix a quarter cup of either car washing soap, mild dish soap or a mild laundry detergent (per gallon of water) to use as a cleaning solution – only if water alone wasn’t sufficient to clean the buildup of dirt and debris.
- Step 4: Lightly apply the cleaning solution to the metal roof using a bristle brush, sponge, washcloth and/or a non-abrasive pad. It’s imperative that the gentlest touch is used when cleaning your metal roof, as to prevent any damage to the colors and coatings applied to the surface. Most importantly, strictly avoid application with wire brushes, scouring powders, thinners or paint removers.
- Step 5: Upon letting the solution rest for ten minutes or so, thoroughly rinse the surface of your roof with water.
For a complimentary inspection call us or request a free estimate.
CLICK NUMBER TO CALL
Contact a Professional
If you feel uncomfortable, aren’t well-equipped or simply wish to have the cleaning performed by a professional, the roofing experts at Rapid Restore are more than up for the task. Available at a moment’s notice, our professional roofers are able to repair, replace or clean a metal roof thoroughly, usually within a single day.
About Rapid Restore
Our mission at Rapid Restore is to provide a stress-free, refreshingly simple, world-class roof installation experience for our customers in Long Island, NY. We look forward to protecting you. With over 110+ 5 star reviews on Google, you can trust the expert roofing contractors at Rapid Restore to replace your roof on-time and within budget.
For a quick, no-obligation estimate on your next roofing project, fill out our estimate form!