What is the Purpose of Roof Underlayment?
Roof underlayment is a water-resistant material that serves as a protective layer for your roof which deters the intrusion of moisture. It is an unseen layer that covers the surface of your roof and is generally invisible to the naked eye unless personally installed. A barrier from exposure to heat, rain and snow, underlayment is fundamental to the protection of your roof and home.
Types of Roof Underlayment
- Asphalt-Saturated Felt: Also known as tar or felt paper, asphalt-saturated felt is composed of a mixture of asphalt, polyester and bitumen. Basemat is asphalt, which is saturated – making it water resistant and flexible. Asphalt-saturated felt also enhances the durability of your roof deck, rendering it more resistant to hailstones, debris and deformations from impact.
- Rubberized Asphalt: Waterproof material consisting of asphalt and rubber polymers, rubberized asphalt holds the distinction of being the only underlayment that is 100% waterproof, making it more suitable for colder or snowier regions. Often available with self-adhesive, rubberized asphalt is ideal for self-sealing and is an all-around low commitment installation.
- Non-Bitumen Synthetic Underlayment: The preferred underlayment among roofing experts, non-bitumen synthetic underlayment is reinforced with fiberglass as well as asphalt, making it especially resistant to tearing and adept at maintaining elasticity. Non-bitumen synthetic underlayment is also water resistant, lightweight and UV resistant, which prevents excessive heat transfer into homes.
Benefits of Roof Underlayment
- Waterproofing: As the name suggests, waterproofing prevents water leaking into peaks and valleys of roofs and potentially causing structural damage or rot. Rubberized asphalt is considered to be the best type of underlayment for waterproofing.
- Moisture & Heat Protection: Although shingles overlap, the spaces between can still allow moisture and heat to enter your home. Roof underlayment serves to plug up those gaps and reduce the damage inflicted on your shingles from heat and moisture.
- Water-Resistance: Roof underlayment prevents shingles from being weather worn and brittle by reducing buildup and absorption of moisture on the outer surface of the roof. Asphalt-saturated felt is a good option to facilitate water droplets sliding off a roof.
Importance of Underlayment
Underlayment is a vital component of your roof and its ability to continue safeguarding your home from moisture and heat damage. In order to effectively protect your roof, the appropriate type of underlayment should be applied, whether it be asphalt saturated felt, rubberized asphalt or non-bitumen synthetic underlayment. If you see any warning signs that your roof requires application of a new layer of underlayment, it’s recommended that you contact a roofing professional immediately.
About Rapid Restore
Our mission at Rapid Restore is to provide a stress-free, refreshingly simple, world-class roof installation experience for our customers in Long Island, NY. We look forward to protecting you. With over 110+ 5 star reviews on Google, you can trust the expert roofing contractors at Rapid Restore to replace your roof on-time and within budget.
For a quick, no-obligation estimate on your next roofing project, fill out our estimate form!